What it does for you
Frankincense essential oil can help soothing skin, even out skin tone, kill bacteria. These features make it a good option in treating scars. It also may promote the growth of new skin cells, tighten the skin, and reduce the appearance of scars.
Boswellic acid, the active ingredient in Frankincense, has been shown to have anti-inflammatory benefits. You may start to see results after a month of using frankincense essential oil.
This essential oil may cause skin irritation and abdominal issues. Do not use frankincense oil if you take blood thinners.
Frankincense Essential Oil may help with:
- Soothing the skin.
- Even out skin tone.
- Kill bacteria.
- May promote the growth of new skin cells.
- Tighten the skin.
- Reduce the appearance of scars.
- Have anti-inflammatory benefits.
PubMed Central, a highly respected database from the National Institutes of Health, gives us more information about some of the different studies regarding the health benefits of Frankincense and its components:
- Boswellic acids in chronic inflammatory diseases.
- Frankincense and its therapeutic properties.
- Boswellic acid attenuates asthma phenotypes by downregulation.
- Traditionally used herbal medicines with antibacterial effect on Aggegatibacter actinomycetemcomitans: Boswellia serrata and Nigella sativa.
A study published on the Wiley Online Library:
- A pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to assess the safety and efficacy of a novel Boswellia serrata extract in managing osteoarthritis of the knee.